The Beginning
A few months ago I made one of the most life changing
decisions I believe I will ever make. I began the process of adopting a baby.
My heart has longed for so many years to be a mother, but my body just is not
capable of making me a mom. The journey to accepting that fact was long and
difficult, but I finally reached a point several years ago that I was at peace
with this fact. Adoption has been on my heart since I was a child and I have
always had the desire to grow my family through adoption. It took me a lot of
years to get to a point that I felt “ready” to begin the process to becoming a
mom through adoption.
I use
the term “ready” very loosely, because I am not certain that anyone can ever
truly be ready for what adoption will change in you. I knew I was ready in
January to begin this journey, but it took me until July to even attend a
general information meeting about adoption. Then it took me another month
before I would pull the trigger and send in my application. As I pressed “Send”
on the email to apply, this sudden overwhelming indescribable feeling came over
me. I was excited, scared and so many other things, all at the same time.
Little did I know that was just the beginning of the emotional roller coaster
known as adoption.
The
first step in adopting is to complete a Home Study. They really should consider
renaming this report, as it is truly less about studying your Home and more about
studying YOU! I have never seen so much paperwork, had so many questions asked,
read so many books, watched so many videos and talked/written so much about
myself. The entire process is quite invasive and overwhelming, however I was so
fortunate to have an amazing social worker guiding me and teaching me. If it
were not for her amazing spirit, I am certain I would have gone completely
insane.
Having
someone diving in to who you are, where you came from and where you are headed
leads to a lot of soul searching. This is where that emotional roller coaster
got even more exciting. When you spend hours talking about yourself and days
writing about yourself (I had to write an autobiography) you begin to realize
just how interesting your life has been and that you may not be where you
thought you would be. I have no regrets in my life, because I believe that
every part of my life has lead me to where I am. I love that I am in a place
that I am confident enough and stable enough to pursue my lifelong dream of
adopting, so I would not change a thing. The emotions starting rolling though
when your past is suddenly at the forefront of your mind.
I am
grateful for the Home Study process though. I learned a lot about myself and
about how I truly felt about adopting. I didn’t start my journey thinking that
I would adopt a baby because I thought I was too old for that. Through the
process I realized that my heart still really wanted a baby. I spent a lot of
time in prayer checking in with God to see I was following my own desires or if
this was part of His plans. God has confirmed that pursuing infant adoption is
what He had planned for me, so I made a change to adopt a baby. This was
another roller coaster ride of emotions as I gave up the picture I had in my
mind about my adoption and replaced it with this new picture.
I have
learned already that adoption is not for the faint of heart. You truly have to
have a calling to adopt to endure all that you will go through to become a
parent through adoption. I have gained an admiration for all those that have
journeyed this road, some multiple times. I have gained even more admiration
for birth parents that choose to make an adoption plan for their baby. I am
overwhelmed by the fact that someone making such an excruciatingly difficult
decision will result in my becoming a mom. How selfless and loving of a
decision that is and I will forever be grateful for their bravery.
Today I
successfully completed my first big milestone in this process. I am officially Home
Study ready. This is the day that my control in this process ceases to exist,
as from this point forward it is really in the hands of the birth parents. Yes,
I still have a lot to do, applications to fill out, fundraising to do, profiles
to complete, but ultimately the control is out of my hands now. The control has
really always been in God’s hands, I know, but now I truly have no choice but
to surrender this to Him. I cannot wait to see where God will lead me on this
journey.
I am so excited for you to be on this journey. Adoption is a life-changing, scary AMAZING thing and I have absolutely no doubt in my heart that you were meant for it. I can not wait to see you grow as a person and as a mother. Your big heart and your kind soul are just a few things that are going to make you become a fantastic mom and I am blessed to witness that.
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you and you will be a great mom to any child or children. Let God lead you threw this process and it will be his will on when and what child you will become mom to. hope this sounds ok. love and miss ya Bev
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for you, Jen! If anyone should be a mom, it's you. Hugs and love to you as you travel on this amazing journey!
ReplyDelete